Here’s a scale that I’ve seen Liz Keogh use in a couple of talks about Cynefin and the impact it has on deciding if estimation is worthwhile or even possible in your current situation. I find establishing where we are on this scale to be enormously helpful before going into an estimation meeting (or maybe using as justification for canceling a meeting).
- Nobody has ever done it before.
- Someone outside the organization has done it before (probably a competitor).
- Someone in our organization has done it before.
- Someone in the team has done it before.
- We all know how to do it.